In this video I will show you how to use simple, fast testing methods to determine diagnostic direction with a no start condition. All tests shown can be applied to any vehicle, aside from the GM Type 2 ignition coil test. While Snap-On diagnostic tools were used in the video, any basic code scanner and multimeter could be used with the same results.
Engine Performance Diagnostics chapters 6, 9, and 22
– crank no start
– no check engine light operation
– no communication
– how to use a scan tool to check for PCM communication
– how to easily check for spark with GM Type 2 ignition coils
– using the check engine light to determine the status of the PCM
– how to check the 5V reference circuit at a thermistor
– using a digital multimeter to check fuse integrity
– scan tool
– lab scope
– (Chapter 22) No Spark Troubleshooting, Ignition Coil & Module Testing https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAFYVCyenqcpihCBcez4sWLv5x2FHNnq-
– 1999 Honda Accord No Start (case study)
– No Start from a shorted MAP sensor (Honda, Acura)
– Bad Engine Computer Testing Part 1
– No start troubleshooting (fuel pressure, injector pulse, spark) – GM OBDI
For more information on this topic, I have written a “field manual” called Engine Performance Diagnostics which is available at www.scannerdanner.com as an eBook or paper book.
Want even more diagnostic training? Whether you are a DIY trying to fix your own car, someone looking to become an auto technician, or a current auto technician that wants to get more into diagnostics, subscribe to ScannerDanner Premium right here on YouTube. There is a 14 day free trial.
On ScannerDanner Premium I will bring you right into my classroom at Rosedale Technical College. You will find page for page lectures taken right from my book as well as exclusive classroom type case studies. What is so special about these classroom case studies? I pull live problem vehicles directly into my classroom and we troubleshoot them in real time, using and applying the theory and testing procedures we learn during the classroom lectures. There is no better on-line training of how to troubleshoot automotive electrical and electronics systems anywhere!
Video Rating: / 5